Sunday, April 3, 2011

Resolving Magnetic Tape

So, This magnetic Tape brief has been hanging around forever, and I'm getting sick of it. I've made some final changes to the direction and then that's it done.

Firstly, after some research, I've decided to scrap the A0 poster idea, owing to the fact that I can't find any paper stocks apart from day-glo, which I'm positive will look pretty grotesque. Instead, it is likely that I will use sheets of A3 laser printer paper (100-130gsm) in pastel tones, using a different pastel colour for each quarter's issue, providing an obvious visual clue as to how to break them up.

I've started to really grow to dislike a lot of the script font. It might seem appropriate but it's also over used. I want to tone it down in favour of the more blocky, bold and stripped down 'bebas' font. This extends to the cover. I feel like I've been overcomplicating things and I just need to communicate as simply as possible with typography. For this reason I've also gotten rid of the photography. I don't think it works with this type of document, and therefore I've made the headers into typographically driven splash pages, which kind of evolved naturally into using block shapes of rectangles and lines to make something representative of their name. Here's some documentation as to the changes I've been making:




With the cover, I slowly stripped away all the elements, and left the most basic of type presentations. I wanted to create something more immediate than the direction that it was heading in. I feel like the design I've gone towards is much more enigmatic, it's mroe likely to insite a cult following with ti's simplicity than something a sovercooked as what was going on before.










Initially I toned down the script font 'prelude' in the interview spreads like the image immedietely below.

I still didn't think this was working and wanted to use the Bebas type more predominantly, so I played around with using that and geometric shapes to come up wit type that illustrates the subject a little, here the words are placed on top of a black rectangular shape that could represent a shelf. I think this is quite a visually appealing approach to take and so I applied it to all of the 'interview' spreads I'd been working on.


And her'es the development for pianos become the teeth, I've used white rectangles to represent the idea of teeth, the last representation there-of in these images is the most successful.









Used a chart like series of lines to represent the idea of a table, thankfully it also looks a bit more abstract than that too, which means that it doesn't look as tacky as it potentially could have done.



With the Kinsella Chronicles, I kept the magnetic type writing, I felt that because it wasn't an interview, that a different style is perhaps appropriate, it's also the most successful of the prelude script wiritng I'd been working with. I simply modified it to work without a photograph by using the high contrast reversed out black spread to make the page seem a bit more dynamic.



And here's the development for my castle, your castle. I've used the idea of speration of 'mine' and 'yours' to create a final design that utilises the high contrast between white and black that emphasises this theme.






And here's the final design as you can see the two opening spreads had stayed the same. These worked effectively before and I was reluctant to change them. From this issue a branding element to the pages becomes obvious; band interviews do not use the script font, instead using bebas and geometric shapes to make an appropriate high contrast splash page. Other articles tat are not interviews use a mixture of prelude and bebas in order to continue that theme running through the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment