Friday, May 13, 2011

33 degree cross design

I saw the symbol below in the book 'Occult and Masonic signs and their meanings' and thought it was a really intruiging looking shape. It's called the 33 degree cross and is worn by high level freemasons.


Designing:


So this starts of really simple, just using the cross and some very poor typography skills befor eit evolves. Gradually it started taking shape as a logo for a fictitious 'les morts secret society' which is why the 666 was added, to kind of give it a bit of satanic intrigue and danger. It's also why I turned the writing backwards, which is often assosciated with Satanism.












At this point I translated the words into French to keep up the French vibe that seems to be developing in the brand. In my opinion, this makes things even more intriguing and odd. I wasn't keen on the circle, it kind of evoked the feeling of a rising sun with a japanese letter over the front of it, which doesn't really reflect that sense of mystery and symbology that I'm after.


I much prefer the rectangular slab. It will also make the slanted cross sit much more effectively on a t-shirt, without it looking odd (slant vs. straight down t-shirt could be a little odd on the eyes). Why the colour? because I like it. I will of course try out a heap of colours, but not right now. That's for a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment